Embrace Summer, Sober.
Beautiful, warm weather has blessed us just as we start to move past the pandemic. The Chicagoland area offers a variety of activities to enjoy a safe and sober summer. Here are some of our favorite tips and tricks to make the most of it, from the Serenity House team themselves.
• Get outdoors. Vitamin D is good for EVERYONE. Explore a new forest preserve, go on a bike ride, or hit the lakefront with your favorite book.
• Volunteer. Try reaching out to a local animal shelter or homeless shelter to see how you can help. Orphans of the Storm and PADS are great places to start. Helping others is a critical element to maintaining sobriety.
• Get to the movies. Alternatively, go the free route and watch one in the comfort of your own home. Throw the popcorn in the microwave, sit back, and enjoy.
• Invite some of your support group for a picnic in the park. Everyone can bring their favorite snack and enjoy a laid-back day in the sun.
• Be artistic. Be as elaborate or as simple as you'd like. You're the artist. Journaling, writing, or drawing can be fun and therapeutic.
• Practice healthy habits. Start a new workout routine and pair it with healthy eating, hydrating, and getting enough sleep.
• Soothe your soul. Live music is on its way back. Grab a friend and find a concert in the park or at a nearby street festival. DuPage offers festivals and concerts in the area and ChooseChicago is a great resource as well.
• Treat yourself. The local ice cream shop is calling your name. Grab your favorite scoop and take a walk admiring all the beautiful blooms around the neighborhood.
If you’d like to learn more about Serenity House—call us. 630-620-6616
We have the tools and techniques it takes to develop lasting sobriety, one day at a time.
Reach out to Serenity House: