Dogs eating poison is a very common case throughout the country each year because many household products such as rodenticides, insecticides, pesticides, fertilizers, antifreeze and cleaning products etc. are left around areas where dogs can easily get to it.
Rat poisons are pest control chemicals and substances that are used to kill rats. It is also harmful to animals and humans as well. The signs and symptoms is not immediately shown after ingestion and it may take up to few hours or days to see the result.
There are several types of rodenticides products available in the market throughout hardware and grocery stores which can break down into 3 main categories as follow:
1) anticoagulants - anticoagulant poison that extended the blood clotting period by depleting vitamin K inside rat body. This type is available in the market with a trademark name like warfarin, fumarin, diphacinone and bromadiolone.
2) bromethalin - non-anticoagulant that is designed to affects the brain and cerebrospinal fluid directly and kill rodent with a single dose. It may take up to more than 10 hours before result can be seen after ingestion of bromethalin.
3) cholecalciferol or vitamin D - this type rise the rat serum calcium levels to dangerous levels. Clinical signs and symptoms such as anorexia, increased urination and excessive thirst for water, lower heart rate causing ventricular fibrillation which lead to cardiac arrest may take up to more than 1 day to see the result.
Dog rat poison symptoms
blood contaminate in urine and stool
Pet poisoning prevention tips
keep all medicines such as vitamins, painkillers, cold medicines etc. out of reach because even a small doses can be lethal to animals especially dogs.
be aware that antifreeze leakage from car can cause death if consumed.
plants around the house such as easter lily, azalea, oleander can cause be fatal for animals if ingested.
keep your per away from place that contaminated with insecticides and fertilizers until it totally dried up completely.
some food products may contain pesticides and some food products may be made for specific animals which can be fatal if given to wrong animals.
when using rat poison such as bait pellets be sure to put it on the place that your dog cannot access easily because some bait contains sweet smelling ingredients that can attract your pet.
Rat poison treatment
Never wait for signs or symptoms to develop when you suspected that your dog has eaten toxic substances. It will required immediate action for treatment to be successful because many antidotes must be given within 12 hours period after toxin ingestion. This is time sensitive case so you must take your dog to your veterinarian as quick as possible to increase chance of survival.
Dog is your best friend. Learn all the initial sign and check dog symptoms in details at dogsymptomscure.com to help them when they get sick before it is too late. You can also find informations of dog rat poison symptoms in detail including secondary poisoning from eating rat, diagnosis, prevention and treatment.
I was just looking for some information available on the internet when I came across your blog. The content on this site has really impressed me retro games. It demonstrates how well you comprehend this topic.
When working with dangerous poisons, you first need to learn more about sds inventory. Thanks to this tool, you will be able to manage chemicals safely and effectively without endangering your health when interacting with various toxic materials, especially poisons. Learn more about this tool to feel safe.
This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: best rat poison