25 Years of Miracles
The HIV Program is an Early Intervention Program designed to help with treatment of substance use disorders and compliment the recovery process. Serenity House offers HIV counseling and testing to all Serenity House clients.
The program consists of each client having an initial HIV Orientation session upon arrival for treatment and then a follow-up session prior to discharge. During the initial session, if a client elects to take a rapid HIV test using the Oraquick method (mouth swab) he or she can get their results in 20 minutes. The purpose of the initial session is to:
• Discuss individual risk factors for HIV.
• Provide information on HIV, Hepatitis C and other STD’s.
• Identify ways of prevention and develop a personal risk reduction plan.
Follow-up sessions are used to:
• Encourage behavior change.
• Review information.
• Promote overall health consciousness.
The HIV program offers testing for clients’ partners as well. Serenity House also provides Hepatitis C testing, which is done on-site through our partnership with the DuPage County Health Department.
In addition to serving its own clients and their partners, Serenity House has linkage agreements with other treatment facilities to provide HIV counseling and testing. These agencies include:
- SHARE PROGRAM, Hoffman Estates, IL
- WAYBACK INN, Maywood, IL
- GRATEFUL HOUSE, Oak Park, IL
- RESTORATION MBS CENTER, Westchester, IL
HIV counseling and testing is free and confidential. For information, please call 630.620.6616 ext. 125.